CCDP Question

Unanswered Question
Jan 3rd, 2009

I have my CCVP and just finished CCNP. I thinking the CCDP should be a breeze given this background knowledge. Is this a fair statement or am I underestimating the difficulty of this track? Curious what else I should be reviewing prior to attempting it? TIA!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
scottmac Sat, 01/03/2009 - 09:21

CCDP is not like the other Professional level certs, in that it deals more with network architecture, planning, and implementation (in steps), versus pure technical aspects of a given technology or protocol set.

Probably the most difficult aspect is in the phrase "There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Cisco Way"; there are many ways to design, plan, proof, and implement a network ... but for this test, you'd better know the "Cisco Way," down to the proposed steps and stages...some/many you'll probably disagree with.

As an example, you'll need to select one or more switches for roles given for a network project (most test questions are "story questions ...lots of reading), in many cases there is exactly one model of switch they're looking for, and it's/they're probably not the one(s) that you would select in "the real world."

While the knowledge, test, and certification are,IMO, a Very Good Thing, it also extremely frustrating in that you are trying to plan a future network using equipment from six months, a year, or two year old technology and product line(due to the cycle time of creating & updating the tests). So it becomes more like "guess what old technology Cisco is looking to put in this role."

So, study the Cisco product line, and study the ARCH book.

For me, the CCDA was harder than the CCDP, probably in the effort to get in a Cisco (Only Cisco) frame of mind.

Good Luck

tperrier Sat, 01/03/2009 - 09:31

The CCDP ARCH exam was quite easy when I passed it, but that was three years ago. The exam has been updated since (which doesn't mean it's necessarily harder!).

Actually, it was easier than the prerequisite associate level CCDA exam!

This Discussion