cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Testing on 3560 Switches

richard.kane
Level 1
Level 1

We are having problems with throughput on 3560 switches and I am looking for a way to evaluate the actual speed of gigabit links between switches. It looks like ttcp does not work properly for gigabit or else I don't know how to read the results. Is there another way to do it?

6 Replies 6

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

This depends on quite a few variables:

1. What is the appliaction

2. Latency betweem two switches

3. packet queueing enabled

4. packet sizes?

Place as sniffer on one end to a SPAN port and to get a view of the traffic. Look for retransmissions, tcp window errors, etc.

Unfortunately you will need to dig a bit deeper to find a cause.

Iperf is a much better performance testing tool.

Thanks; it seems very good.

Thanks for the reply.

What is packet queueing?

Why the SPAN port with a sniffer? Doesn't the switch report all of those errors?

Please see url for explaination of different queue methods

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk544/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

Settting a span port to the sniffer will allow you to analyze the conversations traversing your link. The switch will not report Layer 4 errors. Users establish connections using TCP where each segment is assigned a sequence number. if packets are being delayed or dropped a retransmission will occur. The sniffer will identify these as retransmissions.

You can get wireshark sniffer for free.

Wireshark is a good tool for viewing output file. In a production environment where you

you have to view Gigabytes of data, I would

suggest you build yourself either a OpenBSD

box or Gentoo Linux box and use tcpdump for

this purpose. Tcpdump is best, bar none.

my 2c

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco