Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new switch to stack

mike.1979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Any advice appreciated. I have a new un-configured - 'out of the box' 3750 switch. I want to add this switch to an existing switch stack. Is it as simple as just adding it to the bottom of the stack with the stackwise cables? will it then receive the correct config from the master? Is there anything that I should configure on the new switch first? There is no chance of the new switch becoming the master and interferring with the existing config of the stack?

Thanks in advance!

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mike,

here it is the doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

To be sure that the new switch will not become the master you should increase the priority of the current master.

see the section

Tips to Add a Switch as a Slave to the Stack

you need to have the right image (the same) on the new switch and you can set to 1 its switch priority.

The other option is adding a provisioned switch to the stack (that perhaps you didn't like)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card