Views
Helpful
Replies

Transparent mode in VTP Domain

gagamboy15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

What if the switch is in transparent mode and have VTP domain same as in VTP server? Will it also acquire VTP server's vlan database?

What will be its behavior? Thanks for clarification I am a little bit confuse.

Cheers!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Irvine,

Any switch which is in transparent mode does not participate (in the VTP Domain) or share the vlan databse with the Switch which is in Server mode.

Hope This helps...

Shaheen

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Irvine

It will receive the VTP advertisement from a VTP server and it will pass it on to any other switches downstream but it will not update it's database with the information.

Jon

omar.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

You can say that it's as you separate the VTP domain to the VLAN database.

Means that VTP still working and forwarding advertisements receives from other switches. but that not affect the VLAN data base. And any changes in the data base not affect the VTP advertisements.

Please if it's OK, check RESOLVED.

Regards,

Omar

5 Replies 5

Hi Irvine,

Any switch which is in transparent mode does not participate (in the VTP Domain) or share the vlan databse with the Switch which is in Server mode.

Hope This helps...

Shaheen

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Irvine

It will receive the VTP advertisement from a VTP server and it will pass it on to any other switches downstream but it will not update it's database with the information.

Jon

omar.elmohri
Level 1
Level 1

You can say that it's as you separate the VTP domain to the VLAN database.

Means that VTP still working and forwarding advertisements receives from other switches. but that not affect the VLAN data base. And any changes in the data base not affect the VTP advertisements.

Please if it's OK, check RESOLVED.

Regards,

Omar

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Irvine,

I think the gurus have already answered ur query.. but as a best practice do not have too many vtp modes on your network.. Cisco recommends obviously to have vtp mode transparent, to avoid all the config revision number issues.. If that is a standard, build up a template and make sure that every switch which goes onto the network has transparent vtp mode, with some domain name.. Also include VTP passwords to increase security.. This has really helped us overcome issues related to VTP.. infact, i myself brought a network down 6 years back ( i was a novice ) by plugging a switch with higher config rev number in a network that had no vtp passwords, servers all over etc !!! shhhhh.. top secret ;)

Hope this helps.. all the best...

Raj

Raj

+5 for admitting to taking down a network.

I suspect we could all spend a few hours talking about the mistakes we have made on production networks - my top tip for the day, don't ever break the Fault tolerant configuration on bridged Content Switch Modules as it sends the 6500's into a tailspin ! - think it was STP related.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: