cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RR in BGP

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

guys what is the command to check that RR is been config in bgp....i tried sh ip bgp sh ip summary but i didnt get the info.....thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could do a "show ip protocol" to see whether the local router is configured as a RR.

r1#sh ip prot

*** IP Routing is NSF aware ***

Routing Protocol is "bgp 100"

Outgoing update filter list for all interfaces is not set

Incoming update filter list for all interfaces is not set

Route Reflector for address family IPv4 Unicast with the cluster-id 1.1.1.1, 1 clients

Route Reflector for address family IPv6 Unicast with the cluster-id 1.1.1.1, 1 clients

Route Reflector for address family IPv4 Tunnel with the cluster-id 1.1.1.1, 1 clients

Route Reflector for address family IPv4 MDT with the cluster-id 1.1.1.1, 1 clients

Route Reflector for address family VPNv4 Unicast with the cluster-id 1.1.1.1, 1 clients

Route Reflector for address family IPv4 Multicast with the cluster-id 1.1.1.1, 1 clients

Route Reflector for address family IPv6 Multicast with the cluster-id 1.1.1.1, 1 clients

IGP synchronization is disabled

Automatic route summarization is disabled

Neighbor(s):

Address FiltIn FiltOut DistIn DistOut Weight RouteMap

Maximum path: 1

Routing for Networks:

Routing Information Sources:

Gateway Distance Last Update

Distance: external 20 internal 200 local 200

r1#

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks for that one more question....for example if we have four routers a,b,c,d and we want to make a and d as rr (keeping in mind all are using peer groups internal....so if we want redun we can add these two routers in one cluster id right??? now on router a we will issue command that neigbor internal route-refelctor client....now my question is that router d is configured as a neigbor internal peer group.....and by issuing command it will become RR client as well while on router d same is config for router a....now we put them in cluster ??? who will become rr or both will work as a RR...i am bit confuse abt this concept.....cheers

For both routers to be part of the same cluster, they need to share the same cluster id. By default, the RID becomes the cluster id. Since the RID should be different on each router, you need to manually configure the cluster id using the command "bgp cluster-id" if you want the two routers to share the same router id. Both RRs will be active at the same time whether they are in the same cluster or not.

BTW, the two RRs do not necessarily need to be part of the same cluster to work appropriately and they would work just fine if they were not (i.e. cluster id equal to the RID).

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Sorry, I meant "if you want the two routers to share the same cluster id" not router id.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card