cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared lines answering

sundarr
Level 1
Level 1

For receptionist expansion modules are confgured. All the lines on the expansion module are configured as shared line of the users.

Now a call comes for the user, the reception line is configured only for flash.

When reception goes off-hook call is directly answered by the reception. We want the reception to select the line button and answer the call instead of answering automatically only for the shared lines.

Anythoughts much apprecaited.

regards

12 Replies 12

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sundar,

There is a Setting called "Always Use Prime Line" if this is set to True, the Handset will only pick up calls ringing in on the Prime Line. If it is set to False, picking up the handset will Pickup any ringing call. It sounds like your setup has this set to False.

In order to change this parameter, log in to the Cisco CallManager Administration page and perform these steps:

From the Service menu, choose Service Parameters.

Choose Publisher CallManager Server > Cisco CallManager service.

Under the Clusterwide Parameters (Device - Phone) section, scroll down to the Always Use Prime Line parameter, choose True for this parameter, and click Update.

Note: The default value for the Always Use Prime Line parameter is False. If the flag is set to True, when the phone goes off-hook or the speaker button is pressed, then the primary line is chosen and becomes the active line. If a call comes in on the second line of a user, going off-hook makes only the first line active. In this case, the user must select the second line in order to answer the call. If the flag is set to False, the phone automatically chooses a line as the active line based on the line status.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_qanda_item09186a00800a6763.shtml#q39

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated

dezoconnor
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, I think this should solve your issue:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080874d8e.shtml

The Always Use Prime Line parameter specifies whether the primary line on an IP phone is chosen, if available, when a user goes off-hook. If this parameter is set to True, when a phone goes off-hook, the primary line is chosen and becomes the active line. Even if a call rings on the second line of the user, when the phone goes off-hook, it makes only the first line active. It does not answer the inbound call on the second line. In this case, the user must choose the second line to answer the call. If this parameter is set to False, the IP phone automatically chooses an available line as the active line. This is a required field. The default value is set to False.

LOL :-) You beat me to it Rob 5+ for you.

Hi

Thanks. much appreciated for your response

regards

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Darren,

This is the first time my hopeless typing skills ever beat anyone, I must have had a 45 minute head start ;-) (+5 buddy for your most correct answer!)

Cheers!

Rob

AndrewG909
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This is my first post ever!! woohoo

Is it possible to make this change on a device by device basis or is this a clusterwide parameter???

Hi Adriano,

Welcome aboard!

Excellent question here. This behaviour has changed with the release of CUCM 6.1(3), have a look;

Always Use Prime Line

Tip The information in this section does not exist in the online help for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration or in any other Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(x) document besides the release notes.

Description

After you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration, when the phone is idle (off hook) and receives a call on any line, the primary line gets chosen for the call.

Tip To configure the Always Use Prime Line feature in previous releases of Cisco Unified Communications Manager, you configured the Always Use Prime Line service parameter for the Cisco CallManager service. In Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.1(3), you can configure the Always Use Prime Line setting for devices and device profiles.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Configuration Tips

When you configure this feature, going off hook makes only the first line active, even when a call rings on another line on the phone; that is, the call does not get answered on that line. In this case, the phone user must choose the other line to answer the call.

For more configuration considerations, see Table 4.

GUI Changes

The Always Use Prime Line for Voice Message setting displays in the following windows in Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration.

•System > Service Parameters (for Cisco CallManager service)

•Device > Phone

•Device > Common Phone Profile

•Device > Device Settings > Default Device Profile

•Device > Device Settings > Device Profile

Tip If you configure the Always Use Prime Line setting in the Service Parameter, Common Phone Profile, and in the Phone Configuration window, Cisco Unified Communications Manager uses the configuration from the Phone Configuration window.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/rel_notes/6_1_3/cucmbe-rel_note-613.html#wp471834

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

WOw, thanks for the timely response. I do apologize for not including more detail in my posting. I am using version 6.1(2). Now you say the behavior has changed since then, but is it still possible with this version?? I wanted to change the parameter to true and experiment and see if I can configure it on a device by device level, however I do not want to be making cluster wide changes like that during normal business hours. Thanks for your help!

Rob,

Thanks for sharing the info that on 6.1.3 we can control this parameter by individual phone.

Do you have any environment managed to get everything working on 6.1.3

I recently upgraded 6.1.2 to 6.1.3 and at last minute noticed that Personal fast dials doesnt work and it gives Apache tomcat error for CCMPD application.

Awaiting for the Bug id to be provided by TAC.

I have already posted this information in netpro so that it is useful for other users so that they can check this before they plan for upgrade.

regards

Hi Adriano,

No worries my friend! Sadly, this more granular config is "brand new" starting with CUCM 6.1(3) and no earlier versions. Prior to 6.1(3) this can only be set at the Enterprise level.

Hope this helps! Sorry man!

Rob

Hi Rob,

No worries, a small annoyance in a great system is more then manageable. Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.

Andrew

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: