cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which hardware should we use?

touchsystems
Level 1
Level 1

We need to implement WiFi access in a disco environment. Signal quality with std access point varying from 100% with a few persons present to 40% with a 1000 visitors present (GSM's, Bluetooth...). Is CISCO 1240 AIRONET (1242) AP a good solution for this application? Which omnidirectional antenna to install (ceiling mount possible). Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

CFayNTAdmin83
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I read your post. You mentioned being able to support 1000 + users in this area. I have had good luck with the 1242AG series AP's and a high user count. At times in some places I have 25 - 40 users on one AP. I believe Cisco recommends no more than 25 users per AP, so with some basic math that equates to around 40 Access Points. If you have a mix of clients though, you could offset some of the 2.4 Ghz client load by using the 5.8 Ghz range. How large is this building? Do you have some rough dimensions? The standard 2.2dBi dipole antennas should work fine with the 1242's. They are part numbers AIR-ANT4941 and AIR-ANT5135D-R Since you'll probably have a decent number of AP's in there to support the large client load I'd recommend to use a 4402 series WLC. You'll probably need at least the 25AP version. The 50AP model will most likely be the best option. Of course a WLC is not required to accomplish this, but it will make management easier. If you're on a strict budget then I'd recommend to go the autonomous route since lightweight is substantially more money.

Thanks for the info. This morning we will start the implementation of an 1242ag ap. Sorry for the confusion on the number of users. In fact there are only 4 users -waiters- active in the area, but the area is crowded with visitors. That causes a lot of interference (GSM's, BT...) on WiFi signals. Other -cheaper- AP's did not communicate properly when the area was crowded.

Will let you know how everything worked out.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card