Views
Helpful
Replies

Using the On-Demand RRM feature

jpeterson6
Level 2
Level 2

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out some wireless connectivity issues that I've been having.

First about my environment- I'm in a campus environment with 130+ APs (mostly 1010, some 1030). I'm running with a WiSM blade on software version 4.2.130.0.

Second, the actual problem: I'm getting reports from support staff that users are having issues with browsing the web. It seems like they are able to associate fine but when they try browsing, the page will just hang until they refresh. It's happening on multiple laptops that are owned by the users, so I do not have direct control over them.

I am unsure if it is a coverage hole issue, load issue, or perhaps something non-wireless related. I have enabled aggressive load-balancing with a client count of 12 and there was some improvements, however the issue is still occuring.

Here are a few points I need clarification on:

1. Would it be possible to help track down coverage holes using the on-demand RRM feature? It's becoming quite hard to track down issues when the RRM txpower keeps changing on the APs with current settings. I've also have a hunch that this may be part of the problem (the txpower constantly changing).

2. I'm running a current threshold of 70dBm for txpower thresholds (802.11a/b), with coverage thresholds set to 12dB(802.11b) and 16dB(802.11a). Do these look like good settings?

3. Is it considered standard practice to use On-Demand RRM?

4. What are some things to look for to try and decide when and where more APs need to be added into the infrastructure?

5. Is there anything else that can be recommended regarding my situation?

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

It's never fun to track down sporadic issues like these. Sorry to hear you're struggling with these kinds of issues :/

I always, always implement on-demand RRM if possible. I have personally seen the automatic RRM cause instability in the network. Generally, though, it causes problems when it runs the algorithm, which is every 10 minutes by default. If you're having problems all the time, there might be other issues, though trying on-demand RRM might still be a good idea.

You should try to aim for -72dBm signal strength everywhere. If you have less than this you'll start to experience issues. Do you have AirMagnet Surveyor or an equivalent surveying program? You might need to do a full site survey to determine where there are coverage holes.

Other than that, try to replicate the issue on your own laptops. Find out whether it's an issue of a lack of signal strength, or if this happens even when sitting under an access point. If it happens right next to an AP, you don't need to worry about signal strength.

What kind of security are you using?

Best of luck! :)

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: