cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1510 RAP keeps getting fried ----HELP!!

Matthew Ratliff
Level 1
Level 1

This RAP will be the third time I have replaced it. Last time I installed a grounding wire and grounded it to the ground. The AP was up for about three months until a lightning storm passed through. Later that night clients began to complain. This is a regular thing during the summer months when storms are the norm. The RAP is receiving it's power over PoE. The power brick is connected to a UPS. Do you think the surge is still coming across the ethernet cable to the AP? What are your thoughts on this?

4 Replies 4

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

make sure your power supply voltage range. Sometimes high voltage may cause your device to damage. Verify the voltage.

I'll double check the voltage.

Thanks for the replay!

I hate when I mistype....reply not replay

So one thing I've noticed with the Mesh deployments I've seen, is no real use of in-line surge supression. Not surge supression at the power source (UPS) but surge supression on the cat5 cable itself. They make these devices that go inline with the ethernet cable to supress the line itself.

Anyhow, are you having problems with your power brick? If the AP is dead, and it came from the power, I'd think your brick would die too (but I could be wrong).

However, is it possible you are picking up the voltage on the line? Like maybe in the ground, or it runs along side other high-voltage cables...

Maybe cisco doesn't "allow" (support) this use of surge supression on the cat5 cable though? Since they make you buy their cat5 cable on the 1510's, it probably isn't the best idea to cut the cable and splice it into a surge supressor....

Anyhow, back to your problem, if your power brick is surviving, maybe the brick is causing the problem. Maybe the brick is the problem and that it is generating/passing the power surge in the electrical storm (which still could be fixed with inline surge supression on the cat5 cable), but it may be a good idea to replace the power injector if possible.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card