Views
Helpful
Replies

Control plane policing question

mark.doyle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We're planning for the deployment of CoPP / CPPr. Can anyone post a link to the control plane size for a 4500s with a SUP V-10ge?

I realize it doesn't necessarily matter to setting up a config (I'm not trying manage *everything* on the control plane), but it keeps coming up in conversation and I'm not having any luck finding it in the docs (unless it's there under a different name?).

Thanks,

Mark

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mark,

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/cntl_pln.html

Control plane policing

not supported in sup 6E

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually asking about a Sup V-10GE though. :)

Hello Mark,

I don't think there is anything more specific for Sup V-10GE it should be supported on it.

And if it is supported being CPP concerned with all signaling protocols L2 and L3 the document should apply to it.

I understand that you would like to receive feedback from someone that has already implemented it on your specific hardware.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuslar, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

My question is really about the size (bandwidth, capacity) of the control plane. How many packets per second can a control plane on a SUP V-10GE process.

The question comes up as we discuss how many packets per second (or bytes, or anything) to allow onto the control plane. It would be nice to know how many it can actually handle. :)

Hello Mark,

the problem for me is the opposite:

with the settings of CPP can the supervisor for example receive all the packets of a new OSPF adjacency or setting up a new BGP session with many routes ?

You need to perform some exstimates on the normal BW and pps usage for the various protocols and to tune if needed some settings.

I see that the default action for each of the predefined classes is to allow packets with no control.

I remember when we used the receive ACL on GSR and C7500 we had to refine it multiple times.

On GSR we were even able to break communication with linecards (it uses SNMP on 127.0.0.x addresses).

The receive-acl needed to be customized for each single device and was not really scalable.

Here I see there is a basic framework that provides all class-maps and the customization is about the action to apply (if any) the permitted rate for each protocol.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco