definitions : Propagation Delay & End to End Delay

Answered Question

Hi !

I'm currently prepare my ONT certification Exam, to the last part of my certification process, I take a test on howtopass.com, I missed one question about some definition thoses 2 let me a little bit in contracdiction with my knowledge.... could someone help me ?

On my understanding is End to End delay refer as : the delay start to count when the source start to send packet and end when the destination as completely received it.

Propagation delay refer as : between the differents nodes of one transmission, exemple packet have to cross R1, R2, R3 and R4, the time needed to the same packet start to be transfer from the egress interface of R2 to the egress interface of R3 is the propagation delay.

is those definition are correct ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by jrensink78 about 8 years 2 weeks ago

Propagation delay is the time it takes the data to cross the network medium (such as copper or fiber network cables). It is a component of the end-to-end delay.

So if one router is sending data to a directly connected router, the propagation delay is the amount of time the data takes to go from one end of the physical network cable to the other.

The end-to-end delay is, as you said, the total sum of all types delay from start to finish.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
jrensink78 Tue, 01/06/2009 - 12:26

Propagation delay is the time it takes the data to cross the network medium (such as copper or fiber network cables). It is a component of the end-to-end delay.

So if one router is sending data to a directly connected router, the propagation delay is the amount of time the data takes to go from one end of the physical network cable to the other.

The end-to-end delay is, as you said, the total sum of all types delay from start to finish.

Actions

This Discussion