cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

To make switch as a hub

narasimhanv
Level 1
Level 1

I like to broadcast all the packets that is getting received on one port to all other ports.(even an unicast packet)..(you can say, i can use a HUB instead :)..but i dont have a hub now) I am using Alcatel 6850 24 X series switch. Kindly let me know, whether it is possible?..

3 Replies 3

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

Why on earth would you want to take a switch and turn it into a hub. You should probably just buy a hub.

hubs in a network = bad

Actually in market, i can't get a 1 Gbps hub, and i rightaway have an Alcatel's 6850 switch. Just i thought, whether i can try using this switch as hub.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Narasimhan,

the only way is to fill continuously the CAM table of the switch.

you need to perform a MAC address flooding attack using a linux PC with dsniff library installed.

I did for testing of L2 attacks but be aware that in this way you can affect the performance of the device.

It is possible but not recommended.

If you want to mirror traffic of one port to a single port where you place a sniffer you should look for port mirroring features on your switch.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card