IP Server Redirection

Answered Question
Jan 6th, 2009

I am not sure if I am in the right forum.

We have an installation that suffers constant and long periods of power failure - more than a normal and good-priced no-break can solve.

We are thinking to use an IP traffic redirection. Is it possible: in a power failure we contact the router administrator and ask them to change all traffic from x.x.x.x to y.y.y.y where x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y are different networks (in different places - the server x.x.x.x has a backup on y.y.y.y)?

Thanks in advance,

Josi Perez

Correct Answer by Jon Marshall about 8 years 1 month ago

Josi

It's not entirely clear what the setup is but if you wanted to have backup servers in a different location that automatically take over when the primary servers fail you may want to look into load-balancing which can do exactly that.

There is a specific forum for this on NetPro -

Data Center - Application Neworking

Using a load-balancer would allow a seamless switch over rather than relying on phoning someone up etc. Of course keeping the primary and backup servers in sync is another story but less of a network issue, more a server issue.

Jon

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jon Marshall Tue, 01/06/2009 - 07:21

Josi

It's not entirely clear what the setup is but if you wanted to have backup servers in a different location that automatically take over when the primary servers fail you may want to look into load-balancing which can do exactly that.

There is a specific forum for this on NetPro -

Data Center - Application Neworking

Using a load-balancer would allow a seamless switch over rather than relying on phoning someone up etc. Of course keeping the primary and backup servers in sync is another story but less of a network issue, more a server issue.

Jon

josiperez Tue, 01/06/2009 - 11:35

Thank you very much!

I know that is possible and I have the pointers now.

Happy 2009.

Josi

Actions

This Discussion