cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copy from console using tftp to the router

cisco steps
Level 1
Level 1

I know I asked this b4. but I was doing from remote side w/ space on the router, this time I will be doing it from the console and no space on the router for 2 images to exist

here is a notes that I put in for me to to follow ..

1.Create a console connection with the default settings (9600 baud, 8 databits, 0 parity bits, 1 stop bit, no flow control).

2.Check the connectivity between the router and the TFTP server with the 'ping' command.

3. delete the Ios from the flash

4.Start copying the IOS file with one of the following command:

Router#copy flash tftp

--will be asked for the IP address of the TFTP server:

--Address or name of remote host []? XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

--Afterwards,will be asked for a destination file name to be saved on the TFTP server

--Destination filename [cXXXX-X-XX.XXX-XX.bin]?

--will see the progress of the files transfer

I have one more question, since I am using tftpd32.. how should do I know what is the tftp server address if the router is not providing DHCP

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This looks backwards. If you want to copy an image from a TFTP server to the router, you should use:

copy tftp flash:

Then follow the on-screen prompts. You can use the Windows command "ipconfig" to find the TFTP server's current IP address.

ok , Thanks , I mean to say tfpt to flash.. Thnaks

Also, you might want to do the erase flash when doing the copy from tftp to flash. This will ensure that you have a good connection and everything is working before you get rid of the current IOS. Furthermore, it might be a good idea to boot the router up from the tftp IOS and check the functionality first to make sure it is going to work once you do make the change. Of course, a live network may not allow you to do that last step.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: