cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505's, Multicasting, et al.

don.click1
Level 4
Level 4

Hey guys - question for you all. I have asked TAC and was told that the ASA 5505 cant do multicasting, but im not sure thats the right answer.

My setup seems simple (to me). I have a 5505 setup as a site to site vpn (split tunnel) to a asa 5520. We use Multi-casting for all kinds of video on the internal lan, and it all works pretty well. Users on the 5505, however, cant view the multicast streams. Now, im poking around the firewall today trying to find an unrelated problem, and noticed the "enable multicast routing" option in the ASDM.

Do I need that enabled? Just trying to find a solution to this problem thats been around since we installed these. The original configuration was a 871 router to pix 525, and that seems to have worked quite well - or so I am told.

Any suggestions?

tia!

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don

Do you want to pass the multicast down the site-to-site VPN tunnel because IPSEC does not support multicast.

Perhaps you could give some more details ?

Jon

Jon - yes, I was hoping to pass that traffic down to the user thru both ASA devices, but this pretty much answers my question - because we are using IPSEC, we wont be able to view the mutlicast on the 5505?

The internal network has multicasting setup so that some of the weekly meetings are "televised" so to speak.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: