Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3GE Line Card Capacity

Hi gurus,

I just want to know what is the switching capacity and forwarding rate of these 3GE module and its ports. I cant find them on the data sheet.

tnx.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Jefferson,

you're right the data sheet doesn't provide this information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps167/products_data_sheet09186a0080092085.html

the linecard with engine2 has good performance rates but has limited features.

I tested and used some years ago.

the capability in packet rate should be enough to forward 64byte frames (mininum frame size) on two GE ports bidirectional so it should be in the order of 2,800,000 pps.

All 3GE ports can be used but in this case full rate cannot be achieved with minimum size frames but it is suitable for normal traffic patterns.

It supports 802.1Q subinterfaces, MPLS, EoMPLS, VRF even mixed on different subinterfaces of the same GE port (I tested) with no performance penalty.

For example we have these linecards in use in my customer network on some GSRs.

If you want to perform CAR on subinterfaces or to use Modular QoS you need to move to engine3 ISE linecards 4GE or more.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe ,

in terms of how much bandwidth can it process or the switching rate, what do you think?

if i used all the 3 GE ports and utilizing each port around 70%, will i still get a good performance?

tnx.

Hello Jefferson,

I think it should be fine with a realistic traffic pattern.

We have all 3GE ports enabled in production network and so it was in the previous customer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card