cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs missing from WLC

pt_wang
Level 1
Level 1

My customer who has one WLC4402,36 AP1130.Some of APs miss from WLC sometimes but I can ping those APs at this time.I can not find any messages from WLC(version 4.2.61).Any suggestions?

15 Replies 15

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Does he have a 4402-50. If not he has exceeded the number of APs supported by the controller. The 4402 comes in 12, 25, and 50 AP versions. The 4404 is 100 AP controller. If the 4402 is a 50 then insure that trunking is enabled on the ports where the APs missing reside. The APs will grab dhcp from any available dhcp server but if option 43, DNS, or manual controller location is not enabled, the APs will not see the controller.

Dennis, you are the man! You answered one of my questions before I posted it, thanks. We love doing business with your company! Talk to you soon.

Quite glad to help man.

The 4402-50 has 50 AP versions, less than 50 APs.

APs was working, but some of them it was missing sometimes.Those APs ping is works.

My customer told me he disble/enable the Linksys POE ports, then the APs come back,

gjcluttrell
Level 1
Level 1

Is this WLAN running layer 2 or layer 3 mode? I had a similair issue when adding new APs & they were not recognized by the controller until I bumped up to layer 3 mode & configured AP manager on the controller.

You should always be running layer 3 mode as Cisco is phasing out support for layer 2. Layer 3 has more robust support for third party client devices and applications and actually treats wireless as an extension of the IP network.

Layer 3 mode, The APs was working, but some of them missing sometimes but ping those APs works.My customer told me he enable/disable

the Linksys POE ports then those APs back to works.

You mentioned you was using a PoE switch. It would be interesting to see if the same thing happens if you use power injectors on the APs. On the 1130 APs, if you're using a PoE switch, if loopback detection is not enabled on the switch port the AP is plugged into, the AP will cause a loopback on your switch/LAN which would cause it to loose connectivity. Let us know if this helps.

How I enable loopback detection on Linksys 20xx series switch?

I'm not sure on that particular switch, it may not have that feature. You'll probably have to use a power brick for AP power.

Does that switch also support CDP? If so, try turning CDP off if possible. CDP enabled causes a problem with PoE methodology which might be why they reappear after you turn PoE off.

Linksys switches does not support CDP now.

How many APs and PoE devices are on the switch?

My experience is that some APs (especially those with a-radios) do not get enough power from the switch. So you can ping them but the radios won't work.

Sometimes they work fine until one additional PoE device goes online and that messes it up.

try power cords/injectors on some APs or reduce the load on the switch.

Does the switch has an UPS? HOw reliable is the powergrid in your area?

Good luck

Michael

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If an AP refuses to join the Wireless LAN Controller, type the following command:

lwapp ap controller ip address

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: