Views
Helpful
Replies

external Antenna for N Series 1252

tholmes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Can someone please let me know which externally mounted antenna is the correct part to use with a AIR-AP1252 N-Series, (6dBm gain or more, its to cover a playing field)

I've been scouring the Cisco web site for days to find a definative answer and am getting confused.

Ideally it needs to cover both radio bands but if it only does 2.4Ghz, I'll settle for that as my life is ticking away.

Any idea on the wall mounts too.

All help appreciated

Regards Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Keep in mind that you can use any 2.4GHz antenna on the 1252. Some antennas have three cables for convenience, but in reality there are three individual antennas inside the casing. You can attain the same effect by purchasing three of the same kind of antenna and connecting them to the 1252.

The AIR-ANT2506 is a good outdoor antenna and would be fine for use with clients as long as it's installed close to the ground. Omnidirectional antennas are quite deceptive in how they work - they actually form a donut-type coverage that gets "squashed" as gain is increased. A 5.2dBm isn't too bad, but if you install it too high then the signal will go right over the heads of the users. I guess I mention all that to say that you shouldn't install it on a 20-foot pole on top of a roof. :)

To take full advantage of 802.11n, you'll need three antennas. Otherwise, one or two would suffice fine if you're in an 802.11g environment.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Yeah, antennas can be confusing. Try this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b_ps6521_Products_Data_Sheet.html

There are a myriad of Cisco antennas available for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but I don't believe they have an encasing with antennas for each band or anything like that. You'll need to purchase antennas for 2.4GHz and 5GHz and install them separately.

All Cisco access points use RP-TNC connectors, so purchasing any of the antennas listed above will work with your 1252. Just pay attention to which antennas are 2.4 and which are 5GHz. If you go to a third-party, make sure you get RP-TNC connectors.

I hope that helps!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes this helps, top man, many thanks for your reply.

It would appear that Cisco do not make an external antenna for the 1250 series in the 2.4Ghz range then, as all the outdoor antenna are 5Ghz, AIR-ANT5160V-R looks like the one to go for in table 4.

Do you think I could use a AIR-ANT2506 (table 5) this is designated as a bridge to bridge antenna in the 2.4Ghz range but it should still work ok for an AP... don't you think

Thanks Again

Tony

Keep in mind that you can use any 2.4GHz antenna on the 1252. Some antennas have three cables for convenience, but in reality there are three individual antennas inside the casing. You can attain the same effect by purchasing three of the same kind of antenna and connecting them to the 1252.

The AIR-ANT2506 is a good outdoor antenna and would be fine for use with clients as long as it's installed close to the ground. Omnidirectional antennas are quite deceptive in how they work - they actually form a donut-type coverage that gets "squashed" as gain is increased. A 5.2dBm isn't too bad, but if you install it too high then the signal will go right over the heads of the users. I guess I mention all that to say that you shouldn't install it on a 20-foot pole on top of a roof. :)

To take full advantage of 802.11n, you'll need three antennas. Otherwise, one or two would suffice fine if you're in an 802.11g environment.

Hi Jeff,

It's good to get piece of mind, thanks for the advice, extremely helpful!

Cheers Tony

JEFFREY SESSLER
Level 1
Level 1

Check out terrawave products. They have several unique antenna solutions for the 1252 series.

Hi, many thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at this firm

Cheers Tony

Guys, please remember to stay within FCC part 93 guidelines. You must use an antenna that was tested and approved by the manufacturer or an exact equivalent. You must also never exceed the FCC mandated power outputs (different for indoor WLAN and outdoor bridging). To do so puts you in serious jeopardy of fines if your network interferes with anyone else's ability to use the spectrum.

Hi Dennis,

Yes thanks good point, I've opted for the

AIR-ANT24120 so it'll be ok.

(bit confused on the wall mounting bracket though, I've gone for a AIR-ACCRWM1400)

Cheers Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: