Views
Helpful
Replies

Performance Impact of Dropped Packets

d-g-c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

We have a multi-context ASA setup on our network. Without going into too much detail, one of the contexts is used specifically for primary / secondary school access.

We have recently migrated all our schools to a new IP address scheme. However it appears that the build image used on the PC's is forcing them to try and contact IP addresses on the old ranges.

Since the ASA is set as the default gateway in the network all the packets are being routed to the inside interface with a destination of the previous network. The ASA is reporting 800,000 dropped packets every 10 seconds, which obviously increases after each migration.

I have been looking through the Cisco documentation; however I'm unable to find details of how many dropped packets will affect performance of the appliance. I appreciate that the ASA is designed with filtering packets in mind, although this seems a little excessive.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Regards

Kris

1 Reply 1

bwilmoth
Level 5
Level 5

The Cisco ASA may drop a packet due to no management IP address configured in the transparent mode.Configure the device with management IP address and mask values.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card