Views
Helpful
Replies

FXO/FXS IOS COMMAND ISSUES

sandman420
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've got 2 1760 routers with each a VIC2-4FX0 and VIC-FXS/DID cards. I've got 128mb of system RAM in them, running IOS c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3.bin, which is supposed to be a voice ios with advanced feat. pack according to Cisco's website. I've also got 2x of the needed dsp's (can't remember model number, but its only 1 dsp chip on it - again cisco said 1 dsp would handle 4 channels, unless we're using the high-end codecs. My issue is that I cannot issue any of the voice-port commands. I don't think the hardware is somehow installed correctly. When I issue a "show hardware", they are not listed, however, when I capture a boot, they are listed as "card in slot 2/ card in slot 3" where the router allocates memory to devices.

Can anyone please help? And by the way, these are default no config, all I have done on the one is give a hostname, fastethernet ip and some basic password sec. and that's it.

HERE'S THE BOOT:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac Copyright (c) 2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1700 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xcbd968 Self decompressing the image : #################################################

################################################################################

################################################################################

# [OK]

Smart Init is enabled

smart init is sizing iomem

ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE

MainBoard 0X00027A80 1760

0X000F3BB0 public buffer pools

0X00211000 public particle pools

0X0003B100 DSP Buffers

0X004C 0X00000000 Card in slot 2

0X003A 0X00000000 Card in slot 3

TOTAL: 0X00367730

If any of the above Memory Requirements are "UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported configuration or there is a software problem and system operation may be compromised.

AND HERE'S SHOW HARDWARE:

Simmering#sh hardware

Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(3), REL EASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 22-Jul-05 12:04 by hqluong

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Simmering uptime is 4 days, 16 hours, 17 minutes System returned to ROM by reload System image file is "flash:c1700-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to export@cisco.com.

Cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x500) with 114688K/16384K bytes of mem ory.

Processor board ID FOC08252LAR (617609820), with hardware revision 0000 MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2

1 FastEthernet interface

32K bytes of NVRAM.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Simmering#

Thank you,

Mark

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Or ipvoice.

Glad we could figure this out :)

hth,

nick

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

The only supported DSP Modules for the 1760 are shown below so you will need to verify this info first;

DSP Modules Available on Cisco 1760

PVDM-256K-4 1 DSP Module

PVDM-256K-8 2 DSP Modules

PVDM-256K-12 3 DSP Modules

PVDM-256K-16HD 4 DSP Modules

PVDM-256K-20HD 5 DSP Modules

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00800920f2.html#41183

Hope this helps!

Rob

Couple of things:

I would try changing IOS - I'm not 100% positive if advsecurity includes the voice feature set.

Also check your 'show diag' to see what the router sees for the cards. Looking for analyzed/enabled there.

hth,

nick

I'm not that of an in-depth cisco programmer yet, I'm still working on my ccna - 1/2 way there, but this is what show diag gave me:

Simmering#show diag

Slot 0:

C1760 1FE VE 4SLOT DV Mainboard Port adapter, 1 port

Port adapter is analyzed

Port adapter insertion time unknown

EEPROM contents at hardware discovery:

Hardware Revision : 5.0

PCB Serial Number : FOC08252LAR

Part Number : 73-7167-05

Board Revision : B0

Fab Version : 04

Product (FRU) Number : CISCO1760

EEPROM format version 4

EEPROM contents (hex):

0x00: 04 FF 40 03 16 41 05 00 C1 8B 46 4F 43 30 38 32

0x10: 35 32 4C 41 52 82 49 1B FF 05 42 42 30 02 04 FF

0x20: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

0x30: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

0x40: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

0x50: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

0x60: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

0x70: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Simmering#

I don't understand that because there is nothing in slot 0, and there are cards in slots 2 and 3. According to the cisco ios selector or whatever their cross-reference is said this ios has the voice/voip features, but if you have another ios version you think I should be using, please by all means let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

This shows that the router isn't even recognizing the cards or the DSPs.

I would try an ipvoice image or adventerprisek9 (ones off the the top of my head) image.

That should help at least get the cards recognized.

hth,

nick

I think you might be more on the target, as yes the cards do light up and the router does address memory to the cards. The thing is, I need an IOS that is capable of basic voice just using analog stations from a key system to pass as voice channels to another location using the fxo/fxs cards, DSL with PPPoE login via Ethernet port, SSH (1.5 would be best), and capable of VPN server/Easy VPN that clients can connect to with the Cisco VPN client PC software.

Is there something other than the enterprise packs that can handle that?

Yup, looks like I need the advanced ip services, and not the advanced security feat. set. Wish I could use that IOS upgrade planner, but I don't have any contracts with Cisco, so they won't let me see. Could you give me some examples of what the actual image file names are for the versions I would need? I guess the Advanced IP Services, Enterprise Services, and Advance Enterprise Services are the only ones in the realm of what I need, correct?

Or ipvoice.

Glad we could figure this out :)

hth,

nick

I found a c1700-advipservicesk9-mz.124-13b.bin that I had and loaded that. FXO/FXS ports showed up on start up.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

The PVDM-256K-4 1 DSP Module are the ones that we have purchased. We actually bought 5, 2x in each router, and 1 for backup.

might be missing the obvious here but when it boots, do the cards light at all or is there nothing?

it should light orange which means it gets power which is also not dependent at that point on IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: