WCS RSSI

Answered Question
Jan 7th, 2009

How do you lower the power levels on an AP in one direction? One of my APs has way too much power in one direction. I'd like to pull it back a little. It is mounted on the ceiling of a room that is close to a wall of the building. It is broadcasting across the street.

Correct Answer by jeff.kish about 8 years 1 month ago

You can't actually turn down power in one direction. The propagation of signal strength is determined entirely by your antenna, not the access point. If you turn the power down on the AP, it will reduce power in all directions.

What kind of antennas are you using? You might want to consider a directional antenna that broadcasts in one direction. Just keep in mind that there are always "leaks", and even a directional antenna will broadcast behind it a bit.

Try this link for more antenna options:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b_ps6521_Products_Data_Sheet.html

As for lowering power, you should be able to do that under the Configure -> Access Points in WCS.

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
jeff.kish Wed, 01/07/2009 - 09:05

You can't actually turn down power in one direction. The propagation of signal strength is determined entirely by your antenna, not the access point. If you turn the power down on the AP, it will reduce power in all directions.

What kind of antennas are you using? You might want to consider a directional antenna that broadcasts in one direction. Just keep in mind that there are always "leaks", and even a directional antenna will broadcast behind it a bit.

Try this link for more antenna options:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b_ps6521_Products_Data_Sheet.html

As for lowering power, you should be able to do that under the Configure -> Access Points in WCS.

cowetacoit Wed, 01/07/2009 - 09:57

ok thanks. When i was studying for my ccnp i thought remember the ONT cbt nugget video saying you could lower it in directions. I'll try just lowering the power. i am using a 1131 lwapp

jeff.kish Wed, 01/07/2009 - 11:43

Ah, 1131s don't even have the option of installing new antennas. Maybe just try moving the AP away from the wall a bit. Otherwise, yeah, lower the power level via the controller. Power level 1 is max power, power level 7 is minimum.

cowetacoit Wed, 01/07/2009 - 11:52

right. i just lowered the power level. worked like a charm. it took awhile to find that option.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode