Views
Helpful
Replies

can not get a telnet session on switch

ud0508500
Level 1
Level 1

hey all,

I am trying to extablish a telnet with a swich The switch responds with a trying... and then open... no prompt for password or user name is displayed

but anything that you typed will be echo back. I tried the "no service tcp-small-servers" did not work..appreciate the help

I can cosole into the switch no problem, but I can not telnet from the switch either,,I get % Connection aborted

11 Replies 11

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

try this: This will allow ONLY telnet in and set a password of cisco. Youse Login local if you want to have it use a username and password, however you must define that useraname and password.

line vty 0 15

password cisco

login

transport input telnet

I tried it still the same..I can not telnet from the switch either I get connection aborted

I tried it still the same..I can not telnet from the switch either I get connection aborted

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jay,

Can you post the configuration of the switch so we can assist further.

Regards,

jerry

sure here ya go

Hi Jay,

I can see that you are using TACACS. Here are the questions for you

1) Is your switch able to ping to the TACACS server?

2) If yes to question 1, did you add the switch into the TACACS server?

HTH,

jerry

If TACAS is unavailable you wont be able to get in. You can set it up to use TACAS and if tacas is unavailable use the login password.

aaa authentication login VTY group tacacs+ line

line vty 0 15

login authentication VTY

That should get you in with the speccified line password under line vty 0 15

I compared this line for line from our other switches and it is the same no differences..

these are from other switches

line vty 0 4

exec-timeout 30 0

full-help

transport input telnet

transport output all

line vty 5 15

exec-timeout 30 0

full-help

transport input telnet

transport output all

and they work fine..

sure here ya go

Shouldn't this line be

aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ line and "not"

"aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ enable" which seems to be calling the enable password for login instead of the line or local username password. What are you using for login the local username or the line vty password , both are configured.

yes you are correct..both are configured..we are using the tac for login..the local username was there before and it needs to be cleaned up..it does not appear to be a tacac issue..when we telnet to the switch it appears to connect nothing appears on the screen except the curser..it almost looks like a hyperterminal connection when the speed is wrong..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: