Views
Helpful
Replies

4510R- IOS upgrade suggestion

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi All,

Iam planning to upgrade IOS on dual SupV 4510R to most recent 12.2.50-SG to support ip tracking feature for Internet reachability.

Current IOS: cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA4

The switch has BGP/OSPF/EIGRP protocols with SSO redundancy. In the 12.2.50 train, the naming convention for IOS is little different. Will

ENTERPRISE SERVICES W/O CRYPTO

cat4500-entservices-mz.122-50.SG.bin

OR

IP BASE W/O CRYPTO

cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-50.SG.bin

is recomended. My choice is 1st one, but would like to get openions from gurus. Also, upgrading IOS does not need SUP firmware upgrade. is that correct.?

Thank you in advance

MS

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

MS

You should use Feature Navigator to choose which IOS feature set you need. The IP Base will not have EIGRP/BGP/OSPF support - for that you need Enterprise Services -

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

No, you should not have to upgrade the firmware.

Jon

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Not sure ipbase would cover the advanced routing protocols , you would need enterprise services.

Thank you both. I will go with enterprise version. Also, for IOS upgrade with dual sups, Iam refering to the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/20ew/configuration/guide/RPR.html#wp1104060

I need to run both the below commands (to upload IOS to Active & stdby sups)

Switch# copy source_device:source_filename

bootflash:target_filename

and

Switch# copy source_device:source_filename

slavebootflash:target_filename

I do not have to kill the redundancy to upload the IOS. Please clarify.

Thank you

MS

Hi,

Any suggestions..?

Thank you

MS

I do not have to kill the redundancy to upload the IOS. Please clarify.

>>>> Simply uploading an IOS to the bootflash of the standby will not kiil the redundancy.

I hope that answers your question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card