cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection 2.1 - Bypass transfer - direct to VM

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

Customer has a Unity Connection 2.1 system connected via 3 PIMG units to a HICOM 300. The customer's auto attendant allows people to call in and if they know the party's extension, they can dial it directly. This transfers them over as desired.

Customer also wants to be able to have an option to enter an extension and send the caller DIRECT to voicemail without ever attempting the extension.

TAC has been no help on this at all. My understanding is that whether or not you transfer the call to the extension or send it to voicemail is a global setting.

Is there ANY way (maybe by appending a suffix or prefix to the extension number) to alter the transfer behavior so it will go direct to voicemail instead of transferring to the extension?

They could do this with their old voicemail system and are very unhappy that we've been unable to duplicate this internally in the Unity Connection system.

All help appreciated.

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

tack a "#2" onto the end of the string - this over rides the transfer option (if it's set on the destination object - it's ignored otherwise) and goes right to the greeting.

So if you dial 1234 it'll ring 1234 then go to voice mail - if you dial 1234#2 it'll go right to the greeting.

Don't pause - dial it as one string.

I don't see this function documented anywhere.  Where is the option handled?  Can it be modified, i.e. can I make it #4?

I also rated.

What Jeff is referring to works if you are entering the digits after you're already in Unity Connection at a menu.  I think the disconnect here is that you're needing something at the PBX to transfer.

On a CallManager install, we normally build an extension as *XXXX  (using X's as literal wildcards), that's hard forwarded to voicemail.  The voicemail profile strips the *, and then sends the call on through as a CFNA to the voicemail system.

In your case, you need to emulate the same thing.  You can certainly call into the voicemail pilot, and then enter the extension number + #2.  I'm not clear if this will work if you sent it that way from the PBX though.  You'd have to set that up and try it to see if you could get it to work. 

Jeff....any thoughts?  I've actually run into this same question.  Never got a good option for the hard transfer to VM like we can do with CM. 

Cliff    

There isn't a disconnect.  I'm aware of the *XXXX profiles and tested the #2 and that works as well, as we needed both.  What I'm lacking is documentation on how the #2 works, where if anyplace that attribute is set, and can it be modified.  Looking through the online documentation has yielded goose eggs.

Thanks in advance,

/DH

Only documentation I've ever seen about this is found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a008015b963.shtml

I've not seen it in any of the Unity Connection documents.

Cliff

Short version, #2 is hard coded.

Longer version - it's not really "#2" as a command.  What's happening there is you dial an extension followed by a pound terminator so you don't have to wait and issue a "2" which is acted on by the PHTrasnfer conversation (the conversation that is the entry point for calls into a call handler that has transfer rules configured).

So if the extension is "1234" you're dialing 1234#2 which tells Unity 1234 needs to be acted on without waiting and then a "2" is put on the digit queue (the pound is just a termination indicator and is thrown away).  If the call handler/user assinged to 1234 is set to transfer then the phTransfer conversation is loaded and it looks for a "2" in the queue - if so, it bails out without doing anything and skips to the after transfer action which is always to hand the call to phGreeting.  If the call goes right to phGreeting (i.e. no transfers are configured) then the 2 is thrown away.

So, no, the 2 is not adjustable and # is always necessary as a terminator there.

-J

I much appreciate the explanation.  I'll have to look at phTransfer a little closer for my own education.  Thanks again and rated.

ma75
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I have been asking for this from the vendors for years. I have it setup and it is working!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: