Views
Helpful
Replies

MDS 9509 Switch upgrade

red123456
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

We are planning to upgrade a mds 9509 from 3.1(2) to 3.2(2c) And I have few Qs.

1.Do I need to upload the kickstart and system images onto both the supervisor modules?

2.We have a module with different bios 1.0.1 and others with 1.0.5. Does this cause a disruptive upgrade?

Thanks,

Red

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Red,

No you do not have to copy the kickstart and system images to both sups. What you do need to do is to verify that the standby sup has enough room in bootflash to accept both images. Then you can copy the kickstart and system image to the active sup, and then as part of the upgrade they should be copied over to the standby.

The bios difference should have no impact on the upgrade. I prefer to use the command line to do the upgrade. This way the user is presented a prompt with the upgrade impact on each module. The user has to enter Y or N to continue giving the user a chance to make sure that nothing is disruptive, and to back out if they see something that does not look right.

If you need the commands to check/clean the standby sup, or to run the upgrade, repost and I will be happy to provide them.

Hope this helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Red,

No you do not have to copy the kickstart and system images to both sups. What you do need to do is to verify that the standby sup has enough room in bootflash to accept both images. Then you can copy the kickstart and system image to the active sup, and then as part of the upgrade they should be copied over to the standby.

The bios difference should have no impact on the upgrade. I prefer to use the command line to do the upgrade. This way the user is presented a prompt with the upgrade impact on each module. The user has to enter Y or N to continue giving the user a chance to make sure that nothing is disruptive, and to back out if they see something that does not look right.

If you need the commands to check/clean the standby sup, or to run the upgrade, repost and I will be happy to provide them.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I will be definitely looking forward for the commands.

Red

Sure Red,

To check the standby, telnet or SSH into the MDS and use the 'show mod' command to see which is the standby sup.

Once you know that, use the 'attach mod x' command to attach to that module. The prompt will change to switchname(stnadby)#.

Use the 'dir bootflash:' to see the files on the bootflash. Use the 'delete botflash:xxx' where xxx is the file name, to delete the desired files.

'Exit' will get you back to the active sup command line.

You will also need to clean up the active supervisor bootflash: if you need to to make room for the new images. I recommend keeping the new, and the current images on bootflash: but depending on the size of the bootflash: and the image sizes, this might not be possible. If this is the case, keep the kickstart image for the current code.

Copy the new images to the active sup bootflash:

'copy ftp bootflash:' and then follow the prompts for username, password, and file names.

Now that the new images are on the active sup, issue 'show install all impact bootflash:' and then 'show install all system bootflash:

This will verify the image files and then check what the impact will be on each linecard. Look for indication of anything that will be disruptive.

Once you are ready to do the upgrade, issue this command 'install all system bootflash: kickstart bootflash:'

Then monitor the screen. It will do the checks and post a screen with a Y or N prompt aksing you do you want to proceed. It will time out after about 5 minutes if you don;t hit the Y key.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Grt Mike and the upgradation went good

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: