Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN access

speedingwolfids
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all,

We're a small company with 50 people. We have a lot of consultants and partners working on our site. The problem we have is that these people connect their laptop and have access to our internal net. I tried vlan and put them in DMZ but that's still not good enough. I want to know if Cisco has a product that when a person connects to our network, it will not give him/her an IP address unless they have a username and password. I was able to do this with Cisco Wifi back in 2001. A laptop users can see our wifi connect, then it asks for username and password. If they don't have it, it won't give an IP address. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

xcz504d1114
Level 4
Level 4

802.1x, performs port authentication, the switch will do all of the authentication negotiation on behalf of the client. This requires an authentication server, there are free ones available, ACS can provide the authentication and even Microsoft has a product. It works very similarly to what you had probably configured for your wireless authentication.

Another option (definately not top on my list) is to use VMPS, this will dynamically assign VLAN's to a port, if the mac-address is not in the VMPS database it will not assign a VLAN to the port and the user will have no access.

HTH,

Craig

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card