cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference of CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.my and CISCO-ENVMON-CAPABILITY.my.

tc-nakajima
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Does anybody know what the difference between the two files?

And when will the CISCO-ENVMON-CAPABILITY.my be used?

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2/CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.my

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2/CISCO-ENVMON-CAPABILITY.my

I found below description but could not exactly understand what it meant.

CISCO-ENVMON-CAPABILITY.my

Agent-capabilities for CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.

CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.my

The MIB module to describe the status of the Environmental Monitor on

those devices which support one.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/v2/v2-readme

MIB locater uses CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.my when searched by the supported image or the device/IOS.

Regards,

Taichi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The CAPABILITY file does not dictate which devices support the MIB. It lists what deviations exist from the MIB. For example, if some platforms implement the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB, but do not implement a certain object in the MIB, then that should be listed in the CAPABILITY file. It is not necessarily true that just because a device supports a given MIB that it will support all the objects in that MIB.

The MIB Locator is still the authoritative source as to what devices and what versions of IOS support what MIB modules. The CAPABILITY files further refine that (though even those are not perfect).

It does appear that the 2821 supports the ciscoEnvMonRedundantSupplyNotification in 12.4(21).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The CAPABILITY file details differences between a MIB's documented behavior, and its actual implementation on certain platforms. You want to load the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.my file into your NMS. This contains the actual object definitions needed to translate OIDs to MIB object names.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response!

So you need to look into CAPABILITY file than CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.my file

if you want to see which device/IOS supports the MIB, right?

Than why doesn't MIB locator uses CAPABILITY file?

When I searched ciscoEnvMonRedundantSupplyNotification whether supported on c2821(12/4(21)/IP Base) or not,

CISCO-ENVMON-MIB.my was provided and the file contained the object.

I thought if the object included in the MIB file, the device/IOS supports the object.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/MIBS/MainServlet?ReleaseSel=3219&PlatformSel=58&fsSel=592

Regards,

Taichi

The CAPABILITY file does not dictate which devices support the MIB. It lists what deviations exist from the MIB. For example, if some platforms implement the CISCO-ENVMON-MIB, but do not implement a certain object in the MIB, then that should be listed in the CAPABILITY file. It is not necessarily true that just because a device supports a given MIB that it will support all the objects in that MIB.

The MIB Locator is still the authoritative source as to what devices and what versions of IOS support what MIB modules. The CAPABILITY files further refine that (though even those are not perfect).

It does appear that the 2821 supports the ciscoEnvMonRedundantSupplyNotification in 12.4(21).

Hi Joe,

Thanks for answering!

The answer solved my issue.

Thank you,

Taichi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: