cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Exchange 2007 to Existing Exchange 2000 Org where Unity 4.0(5) is

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

I have a customer that has Unity 4.0(5) integrated into an Exchange 2000 environment. They are adding Exchange 2007 into the environment so they will need to extend the AD schema. The partner server for Unity will not be changing at all (existing Unity and Exchange 2000 servers won't even be touched).

I am fairly confident this will not affect Unity at all, but I am trying to find some documentation to support this.

I would think this would be documented somwhere as "supported". Most large customers would probably deploy Exchange 2007 first into their existing Exchange environment to work out the bugs first before adding new Unity 7.0 envirionment and changing all the users over.

I need hard documented proof on this. I know it "should" work and have seen it work in some instances. However, I have a customer with 5000 mailboxes that will not proceed without documentation.

Please advise (I did open a PDI help desk ticket but hoping to find someone from the BU who can point me to documentation).

1 Reply 1

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can add a 2007 server to the existing 2000/2003 org and not affect Unity as long as you are not trying move and Exchange 2000/2003 users who are Unity Subscribers. They will not work correctly. The voicemails will get delivered, but MWI, and the TUI will not work correctly. Unity 4.x does not have access to 2007 the way it does for 2000/2003. Unity 5.x has the access you need and it will work for all versions of Exchange 2000/2003 and 2007 (and clusters!)

However. Unity 7.x, check to make sure it is now support Exchange Clusters. The first release of Unity 7.x did not support Exchange 2007 clusters, this was holding everyone back and just upgrading to Unity 5.x for now.

You can have the following:

Deploy Exchange 2007 and Unity 7.x attach to same CUCM. Test the Subscribers out for MWI, TUI, etc. You can also Digital Network 4.x to 7.x and share the same corporate directory for the directories.

hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: