cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Route different traffic type on two different lines using 1841?

zuhaibsaleem
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we are having a 2 Meg line which is the only line at the moment, we are getting a new 10 Meg leased line and we want to route the specific traffic like HTTP,FTP on the 2 Meg line and the rest of traffic on the 10 Meg line. Now if we get a Cisco 1841 and set up my layout like under, will i be able to acheive what i want?

Proposed setup:-

2Mb-->Modem-->Cisco 1841--->LAN

10Mb-->Cisco1841(Provided by ISP and can not be managed by us)-->Cisco 1841-->LAN

We are not using any layer 3 switch and hence inter vlan routing has to be performed by the 1841 + will i be able to set up a DMZ as well with the above setup.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You could throw a layer 2 switch in there, but I would go with a 4-ESW, it's cheaper. That will providing switching infrastructure for your DMZ.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks for the response.

Is there any tweaking that needs to be done to the router provided by the ISP which i need to be aware off?

Applying PBR to the router within my control shouldnt be a problem for me but i am not sure once the traffic is routed out from my router,how will it behave at the next hop i.e the ISP router ?

Nothing special needs to be done at the ISP router. Once it leaves your interface, 'normal' (non-PBR) routing of up stream routers take place.

Thanks Collin,

How about if someone lets say who wants to access my web server which i want to place in the DMZ. I am not sure how i can make it work.

If i connect one WAN link to FE0 and another to FE1 of the router,will i then need to get a ether switch and make one of its switcport to act as DMZ port OR is there any way that i can route the traffic using only the 2 exisiting ports that are available on the 1841.

Thanks!!

You could throw a layer 2 switch in there, but I would go with a 4-ESW, it's cheaper. That will providing switching infrastructure for your DMZ.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card