Views
Helpful
Replies

Predot and External Phone Mask on CCM

John Tan
Level 1
Level 1

Need some clarification...

What is the best practice for doing predot and External Phone Mask.

Do we configure predot on Route List or on Route Pattern? what are the advantages or disadvantages in either method? When should you do it on Route List and when should you set it up on Route Pattern?

Same for External Phone Mask? Configure on Route Pattern or Route List? Advantages or disadvantages? When to use which method?

Thanks

John

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

•If you configure digit manipulation in the route pattern, the Call Detail Record (CDR) records the dialed number after the digit manipulation has occurred. If you configure digit manipulation only in the route group, the CDR records the actual dialed number prior to the digit manipulation.

•Similarly, if you configure digit manipulation in the route pattern, the IP phone display of the calling party will show the manipulated number. If you configure digit manipulation only in the route group, the manipulations will be transparent to the end user.

Dial Plan

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/dialplan.html

changes done at route list levels have precedence over route patterns.

usually route list level is to cover failover changed needed to go thru different trunks that require different digits. read the above link to understand more

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

I set External phone mask or strip digits under Route Group just so I can change it easily. When you have multiple Route patterns and if you want to change the mask later for some reason, it is a lot of manual work.

And, I also think taking CDR into consideration is important which I just realized from java's post...

:JoeL

Thanks for the info. Assuming CDR is not critical, what is the recommended place to do predot? RL or RP?

again, depends on what you're going to do. if you have a GW in san jose and another in texas and you want to use the same route pattern to use TX GW if no channels available in SJ then configure manipulation at route list.

if you have 1 GW at 1 location and 1 route pattern simply use the RP.

i'd say 95% use RP manipulation, just a matter of how many patterns and manipulation you need to do to determine which is better

HTH

java

HTH

java