Views
Helpful
Replies

Ghost server in 3500XL switch

jong_r0602
Level 1
Level 1

I Guys,

Is there someone who can help me on how to run a Ghost server in my 3500xl switch.

Thanks,

Jong

2 Replies 2

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jong,

Is the 3500XL configured as L2 or L3 device. If it is configured as L2 it would just be a matter of connecting the receiver and the source to it and you would be all set. On the other hand if it is configured as L3, you need to configure the 3500XL to handle multicast for example:

ip multicast-routing (global)

ip dense-mode (interface level)

Dense-mode should be enough if only this one device is configured for multicast.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

The 3500xl is a L2 switch that use CGMP. If you dont have any CGMP router on your lan, the multicast will behave like broadcast. Be aware that the 3500xl do not have the capacity to replicate the packet to all the port. Around 8 Mbps of braodcast to all ports and you will start to have problem with the switch and might need to reboot it. If you have CGMP compatible router, configure them and use multicast in your ghost console.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card