Views
Helpful
Replies

mGRE in Provider network

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I was reading one case study in CISCO IOS MPLS configuration of Cisco Press book. There they have three PE routers PE1/PE2/PE3 is connected with P routers in core as well as connected with CE1/CE2/CE3 of customer A respectively.

now what is the need of mGRE there as all the CE facing interfaces of PE routers are part of VRF custA? how can i take advantages of mGRE in such kind of environment? Actually i need deployment idea of mGRE in MPLS VPN environment.

thanks

Devang Patel

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Devang,

there are still big providers around the world that have decided to not implement MPLS.

So to provide L3 VPN services over a non mpls backbone you can use L2TPv3 or mGRE that are better then a mesh of point to point GRE tunnels.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

Thanks for your reply! but if you will take a look at that case study as well as in my post also mentioned that they are using MPLS VPN in their network!

regards

Devang Patel

Hello Devang,

I misunderstood your question and actually I haven't that book.

One possible reason could that to implement a DMVPN in order to provide CE to CE encryption but it is hard to guess without seeing the case study.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: