Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting a 1252 to join controller

c.fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks -

I just received an AIR-LAP-1252-AG-A-K9 AP. I orded the LWAPP model expecting the AP to show up with LWAPP code on it.

So I unpackaged it and plugged it into the network. It obtains an IP address and I can ping and telnet to it. I configured IP Helper on the router vlan to forward the LWAPP Discovery broadcast to the appropriate controller. As well as the global ip forward-protocol udp 12223 command.

However, the AP never joins the controller. I do not see the LWAPP discovery packet reach the controller either. I checked using "debug lwapp events enable" and "debug lwapp packet enable commands".

So my question is this. How do I determine what type of code (LWAPP or Autonomous) resides on the AP?

If it is autonomous where do I find the LWAPP code? Is it on CCO and clearly identified via a naming convention?

Do all 1252s come delivered with autonmous code?

Thanks for any information.

Chuck

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do a "show ver" from the CLI to see what code the AP was shipped with. What you are looking for is either c1250-k9w7 <--Autonomous or c1250-k9w8 <--- LWAPP. As to what they are shipped with, it depends on how the part was ordered. If you order an AP1252 that is Autonomous, and if you order LAP1252, then that is LWAPP.

If you need to convert the AP, yes, the software is on CCO, and when you select the image you will either choose IOS Software or Autonomous to Lightweight Mode Upgrade Image.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do a "show ver" from the CLI to see what code the AP was shipped with. What you are looking for is either c1250-k9w7 <--Autonomous or c1250-k9w8 <--- LWAPP. As to what they are shipped with, it depends on how the part was ordered. If you order an AP1252 that is Autonomous, and if you order LAP1252, then that is LWAPP.

If you need to convert the AP, yes, the software is on CCO, and when you select the image you will either choose IOS Software or Autonomous to Lightweight Mode Upgrade Image.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve -

Thank you. That is very helpful. So the difference between LWAPP and Auto image names is just the number after "k9w"? A "7" means auto and an "8" means LWAPP. Is there any other way to tell? Just curious.

Is this standard across all AP images (1230s, 1240's, 1250's, etc?). I am well versed in LWAPP but only with the 1000 series APs. So have never worked with IOS type images or converted one way or the other.

I'll plan to uprade the AP to LWAPP and retry as the AP sh ver shows "c1250-k9w7".

Regards

Chuck

Yes sir. For all the Akita AP, 1100/1130/1140/1200/1230/1240/1250, they will all be k9w7 for IOS and k9w8 for LWAPP. There really is no other way to tell, as the difference is based on the software that is running on the AP.

HTH,
Steve

There is a dead easy way to tell if a AP is LWAPP plug it in and watch the lights on the front. If it doesn't land on the controller it will constantly restart and the lights on the front will 'Night Rider'.

Thank you. My confusion had to do with the fact I specifically ordered the LWAPP model AP and assumed it would ship with the LWAPP image. When it didn't associate to the controller I was not sure if it was related to not having the infrastructure configured correctly for it to discover the controller (i.e router ip helper-address & forward-protocol upd 12223 commands). After double checking all of that, my next question was "Is this running an LWAPP image?". Turns out it was not.

I am upgrading now using the upgrade tool. I have a few follow up questions.

1 - Does anyone know what the latest version of the tool is? I've found 2.05 on CCO for 1200 series APs.

2 - When I select the .tar image that I downloaded from CCO (c1250-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar.) I get an error from the tool saying "recovery image is not a valid one".

I followed the instructions in the upgrade tool document exactly. It does not mention anything about renaming it. I noticed a few posts here talking about renaming it. Does anyone have information on this issue?

Do all 1252 APs require this process or is there a way to get them shipped with the LWAPP image already loaded? Was this just a fluke? I have no use for autonomous in my enterprise. I'm 100% LWAPP.

Try the following CLI steps to convert from Autonomous to LWAPP ...

Autonomous to LWAPP (Shortcut)

Requirements:

• Image file (The recovery file has the prefix “rcv” in the image name, such as c1200-rcvk9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedure

1. Copy the recovery file to the AP using the following command:

archive tar /x tftp:/// flash:

2. Let the AP boot on this image:

boot system flash://.bin

3. Reboot the AP.

OPTIONAL

• DO NOT ALLOW THE AP TO JOIN THE WIRELESS LAN CONTROLLER.

• IF POSSIBLE, type the following commands:

 clear lwapp private-config (This will bring the AP to factory default.);

 clear lwapp ap ip address

 clear lwapp ap hostname

 clear lwapp ap controller ip address

4. Let the AP connect to the Wireless LAN controller.

OPTIONAL

If an AP refuses to join the Wireless LAN Controller, type the following command from the AP:

lwapp ap controller ip address

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you can configure the AP, such as the IP Address, then the AP is in Autonomous.

Another give-away is the IOS. Do a "sh ver" and find out what it's running on.

The LWAPP IOS file has the prefix “rcv” in the image name, such as c1200-rcvk9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar while the Automous doesn't.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: