cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding Traffic to Remote Gateway

shawkatalvi
Level 1
Level 1

Router A: This is the primary Internet gateway. To get the failover working I'd like to forward all the Internet traffic to a Remote Router B

Router B: This is the secondary Internet gateway. This router is connected to Router A via 5 hops.

Now, How can I efficiently forward Internet traffic to Router B from Router A when Router A Internet connection fails? We run EIGRP and these routers are connected over private network. Is VPN Tunnel an option or route-map?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure a default route on Router A with a higher administrative distance pointing to Router B.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Even though Router B is 5 hops away? Simply what I want is to forward internet traffic from Router A to Router B. If I put statics, I need to configure statics in each hop,I wanna avoid that.

another solution but pit complex to do GRE tunnel between A & B then default route on A (through internet connection) and another one on A with higher AD through tunnel

Shawkat

I am not sure that I agree that GRE is so very complex. A GRE tunnel seems like it would provide what you want, it hides the fact that there are 5 hops in between and makes the routers look like they are connected directly to each other. You could do a floating static route on A (a static route with higher Administrative Distance) and point it over the tunnel and packets would be forwarded to B with no need to do anything on the routers between A and B.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

This is exactly what I was planning to implement, just wanted to confirm with you guys. Thanks for the guidance.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card