cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding Traffic to Remote Gateway

shawkatalvi
Level 1
Level 1

Router A: This is the primary Internet gateway. To get the failover working I'd like to forward all the Internet traffic to a Remote Router B

Router B: This is the secondary Internet gateway. This router is connected to Router A via 5 hops.

Now, How can I efficiently forward Internet traffic to Router B from Router A when Router A Internet connection fails? We run EIGRP and these routers are connected over private network. Is VPN Tunnel an option or route-map?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure a default route on Router A with a higher administrative distance pointing to Router B.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Even though Router B is 5 hops away? Simply what I want is to forward internet traffic from Router A to Router B. If I put statics, I need to configure statics in each hop,I wanna avoid that.

another solution but pit complex to do GRE tunnel between A & B then default route on A (through internet connection) and another one on A with higher AD through tunnel

Shawkat

I am not sure that I agree that GRE is so very complex. A GRE tunnel seems like it would provide what you want, it hides the fact that there are 5 hops in between and makes the routers look like they are connected directly to each other. You could do a floating static route on A (a static route with higher Administrative Distance) and point it over the tunnel and packets would be forwarded to B with no need to do anything on the routers between A and B.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

This is exactly what I was planning to implement, just wanted to confirm with you guys. Thanks for the guidance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card