cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wifi-g radio replacement on Aironet 1230B

narendra2
Level 1
Level 1

I replaced the 802.11b wifi-b radio card on a working Aironet 1230B (AIR-AP1230B-A-K9) access point with a Cisco 802.11g wifi-g radio card. The access point does not work any more. The console readout shows repeated attempts to to boot from flash. The g-radio card is sealed, new, from Cisco channel. What is my problem? Is the g-radio card defective? Was the Aironet 1231B designed for the b-radio card only? DO I have other issues that have caused failure? When I take out the g-radio card and put back the original b-radio card, the 1230B works (on wifi-b).

3 Replies 3

SJessulat_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I did replacements like this some years ago, i'm trying to remember what you have to take care of ;) :

Try putting the Radio-Interfaces into shutdown before replacing the module.

We used AIR-MP21G-E-K9 modules in AIR-AP1230B-E-K9 Access Points. If you have the same card (just with a -A-K9) then it's the right one.

But the fact that i doesn't even load the IOS is a bit confusing.

Greets,

Sebastian

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Narendra,

I would check the IOS version before changing the radio. Check out the tip below;

There are two versions of the 5-GHz radio: integrated antenna and connectorized. The integrated antenna version contains an articulated antenna paddle. The connectorized version contains two RP-TNC connectors that accept external antennas.

The 5-GHz radio module is available in three versions:

•Low power IEEE 802.11a radio module with integrated antenna (RM20A radio module)

•Enhanced IEEE 802.11a radio module with dual integrated antennas (RM21A radio module)

-Requires Cisco IOS Release 12.3(2)JA or later.

•Enhanced IEEE 802.11a radio module with dual external RP-TNC antenna connectors (RM22A radio module)

-Requires Cisco IOS Release 12.3(2)JA or later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tip If you are upgrading to an 802.11g radio or an RM21A or RM22A radio module, make sure you are running the correct Cisco IOS version before you install the radio or module. If your access point is running an earlier version, it will not recognize the radio or module and continually boot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/radio/upgrade/guide/12rupgrd.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Yes I agree. When installing the new radios it is important to check the software version before doing the install. For example, if you have a really old 1200 series AP that runs 12.01T, that means that it is VX Works and needs to actually be updated to IOS before you can plug in the G radio. Otherwise the AP will simply reboot all the time. If you have 12.3(2) or later you should be able to install the radios and then simply power on the AP. However, I recommend that after doing that you do the TFTP recover process to load something like 12.3(8)JA onto the AP. I've upgraded AP's with the MP21G and RM22A modules in this manner and it works every time. If you still have problems please tell us the software version running on the AP. I always go to 12.3(8)JA or so after an update because I use the AP's in LWAPP mode. To upgrade them to LWAPP you need to have 12.3(7) or higher if I'm not mistaken...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card