cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPT vs PBX

chee-ben.tan
Level 1
Level 1

I heard from somebody saying IPT is not really a cost saving technology compare with traditional PBX. Therefore IPT is dead? Is this something true or just rumours?

2 Replies 2

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

If you are thinking of ripping out a good working PABX for IPT then the answer is on due to the costs of the handsets if anything. the real saving is on a green field site where you reduce the cabling down from 4 ports per location to 2- usually. Initially IPT was all about cost savings and this came from IPT providers at the time , the feature set on the IPT solution was poor in relationship to PABX however the IPT provider will normally have quoted " the PABX has 500+ features but you do not use them all" - the answer being yes but if we use a feature you do not support then we will not buy it. In my view many feature the IPT guys quote Extension Mobility , screen pops, CTI links, UM , Single Number reach etc have already been in the PABX world for years- Nortel REL25 has Extension Mobility and Single Number reach so in theory what new features? However you can not purchase a new S/W upgrade from any major PABX supplier now without moving to IPT. In my view , I`m from the PABX world and so from a career point of view I saw the light 3- 4 years ago- well actually I saw jobserve and the number of Cisco IPT jobs , new PABX`s are dead and the ROI fro IPT is not based on direct cost only but has now moved into features and how it can reduce business costs - Presence in office and outside with federation - cross border team working etc, Allow business to operate better and quicker etc e.g you could sell IPT based upon the UM, CTI screen pops etc to a non-Telecom person as new IPT features or you sell it as reduction in support particular in remote offices where they may have a data person looking after P.C but rely on the PABX suppler for add, moves changes etc now you can just build a CME, SRST etc and send it out and ask them to add it to the Network. A company needs to expand an office or even open a new quickly - send out a SRST route, CME. Also the last point is the roadmap - where are you going to go in the next 18 months time. UM some people say it is good but if you have a company who are all office based does it matter if they pick up their voice mail via email however for a field based sale team who are out on the road with laptops it may be better as with single number reach- It is about positioning the IPT solution to the business and not just cost

Hope it helps

IPT,

Great answer. I to am from the PBX world, Siemens 19 years, And was thrown into the ip world 6 months ago. the "green area" cabling is right on. we had many moves of 100+ and the plug and play phones are great. UM? as you state if everyone or most are in the office does it matter. We have had serious voice quality issues with teleworkes on softphones, no qos on internet, which seems to be a growing issue with us. we would just route out of pbx to dsl #, never a quality issue. the other is training, in the IP world, well it is overwhelming a bit for me, where i could do most anything in the pbx world, its now who know routers , call managers, unity, ipccx, witness these pages on this forum..

Is it worth it..I really dont believe so..but some decisions are not ours to make.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: