Advice on my certification path

Unanswered Question
Jan 8th, 2009

Good morning to all (I am writing from Italy),

I would like to ask you some advice on my Cisco certification path: I got CCNA last June and I am particularly interested in almost all paths offered by Cisco, also because all of them are useful. Based on your experience, could you tell me if some paths give better job opportunities than others?

Thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jcrussell Fri, 01/09/2009 - 06:12

I would say pick whichever one interests you the most. It doesn't matter how much money you make if you are miserable at your job.

lorenzomele Fri, 01/09/2009 - 07:01

Sorry, perhaps my question has been to generic: what I meant to know is if there are some trends for which some paths could be required more than other ones.

Lorenzo

johnlloyd_13 Sat, 01/10/2009 - 02:20

my desired path would be ccna > ccnp > ccda+ccdp > ccie (not sure yet if rns, voice or security). ccda and ccdp are 1 exam each. so it's shorter path than the others.

scottmac Sat, 01/10/2009 - 06:31

The trends remain fairly consistent over the last few years: security, voice, wireless are tending to be the hot spots.

The demand/supply for voice folks is probably close at this point, and the "hook" to security is that it's unlikely that someone would trust their organization's security to a newly-trained/newly-certified individual (i.e., you'd be apprenticed for quite a while) ... so ... of the three, I believe wireless is most likely to maintain demand outstripping supply for at least a little while.

Disclaimer: I'm more of a wireless guy than a security or voice person ... it's likely that a voice person or security person may see thing differently ;-)

The bottom line is that you should pursue that which interests you most, because that's what you'll most likely succeed at. You will learn and grow professionally, and be a more valuable resource ($$$) if you like and enjoy the work (i.e., "it's not a job, I like what I do") ... like a hobby gone wild, and they pay you to do it.

The other point (sorry for getting long-winded) is that for any of the "specialization" certifications (voice, security, wireless, service provider ...) you still need the "basics." You still need to fully understand routing, switching, infrastructure (cable, fiber, RF), security (at a basic level) ... because all of networking is based on these critical foundational concepts.

So, what I suggest, is to pursue the basic foundation knowledge, and in the course of learning(there's a lot to learn) that you are probably going to find some areas you like and do better at then others. By the time you are ready to learn the advanced concepts, and have worked in the field for a while, you'll absolutely know which line or lines of specialization are "best" for you.

Good Luck

Scott

compsolv Sat, 01/10/2009 - 08:05

I really consider the Route Switch path to be the foundation. So I went to CCIE with that path.

Now I am starting at CCIE Security to add that to my skill set. If you are more interested in Voice - then you could add that after CCIE R/S.

Both Voice and Security are enormously popular tracks.

I hope this babble helps you! :-)

Anthony Sequeira

CCIE #15626

www.internetworkexpert.com

Actions

This Discussion