Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog/RME 4.0.5 /LMS /2.06

richard.tetu
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Logrot is usefull.My customer used it too in LMS 2.6.The problem is that when she wants to opened the syslog file , this is too big which can't be opened.

In fact, LOGROT do well the increments, but how stop the size of each one ?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If logrot is not rotating a log, please post the NMSROOT/objects/logrot/logrot.conf and the output of NMSROOT/bin/perl NMSROOT/bin/logrot.pl -v.

I put in attachements the both file requested.

Thanks

Richard

First, I asked for the output of logrot.pl -v, and you sent me the logrot.pl script. Second, you have two entries in logrot.conf that point to directories. These should be removed. The entries are:

d:\

d:\CSCOpx\log

Hello,

It seems to work fine now with the both entries removed.The customer has made a try and has the index of archiving for Sysylog increazing.

At this point, we wanted to know what is

exactly the use of the file

ConfigMgmtServer.log .It's growing too in the same way .

Thanks

This is the stdout/stderr log for the ConfigMgmtServer process. That process is responsible for archiving configurations. It can be rotated with logrot.

Depending on the messages in the file, you may be running into a known bug.

Thanks for that.

Can we move into the logrot config when it's launched with the -c option, the path of log file ?

for example,

c:\CSCOpx\log\utm.log to d:\toto\utm.log

Is the file will be created as same manner ? in the "add file menu.

Thanks

You can always run logrot.pl -c to change the log files that are being rotated. If you need to change a path, you can certainly do that.

Hello,

I did the test :

the Windows server has 2 disks running.

the logrot has been configure for running into:

d:\CSCOpx\bin.

The logs are in d:\CSCOpx\logs.

I have move the file into another path

c: \TestMoveF\utm.log.Before move it ,the utm.log has been deleted on the logrot.conf file.

I have stopped the crmdmgtd and restart them, launched the logrot.pl .

The file has been set with a 1024 size and with a gz compression..

As the UTM.LOG is a big file for this customer, he rotates quite quickly, but never appeared in the directory TestMoveF on C:.

I have share it .. but.

I don't understand what you're trying to do. Logrot will only rotate logs in its configuration. So, if you have a file, C:\TestMoveF\utm.log, and you want logrot to rotate it, you will need a line in logrot.conf for C:\TestMoveF\utm.log.

What we want to do is:

move a log file located originally in D:

, who is rotated with logrot.pl, to another disk.

So,the purpose it just to move some few big files ( as the other could be rotated on same disk ) to anther disk.

Are you talking about archiving old versions of log files to a different disk? If so, then simply set the "Backup Directory" variable in logrot to that alternate disk. The main log file will still be in NMSROOT\log, but whenever it's rotated, the old data will be archived to the alternate directory.

You cannot simply relocate log files, and have the applications use them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: