cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ExpressCard support?

sjhrhaskell
Level 1
Level 1

Any word on when Cisco is going to be releasing WLAN cards in ExpressCard format? And if Spectrum Expert is going to be available with an ExpressCard interface option? Many mfgs don't even offer PCMCIA on their high-end laptops anymore.

5 Replies 5

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

I keep seeing Cisco reference their partnership with Intel and pushing CCX on the 4965AGN chipset. Plus how do you get MIMO 2x3 on a ExpressCard adapter? You need the antenna wires in the lid/monitor for 802.11n.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jPxjkq2ktc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDIsovRjWGk&NR=1

My personal opinion is I don't see Cisco remaking the Cisco CB21AG card as an ExpressCard or making any new wireless cards. This is like 3COM making a new version of the 3C509B PCI Network Card. It was great at one time. Now WiFi is built into motherboards/alarm clocks/toasters/tvs/receivers and would be a financial loss for 3COM to continue manufacturing.

What about the Spectrum Expert?? Does anyone know if plans are made to make the Spectrum Expert in an Express card size?

I work for a company who specializes in the physical layer of WLAN. It sure is hard to see those PCMCIA cards on their way out the door.

from Wikipedia on ExpressCard;

The major benefit of ExpressCard technology over the previous PCMCIA CardBus PC card is a dramatic increase in bandwidth, afforded by the fact that the ExpressCard has a direct connection to the system bus over a PCI Express x1 lane and USB 2.0, whereas CardBus utilizes an interface controller that only interfaces with PCI. The ExpressCard has a maximum throughput of 2.0 Gbit/s through PCI Express and 480 Mbit/s through USB 2.0 dedicated for each slot, versus CardBus's shared 1.06 Gbit/s bandwidth.

In addition, the ExpressCard standard uses lower voltages than the previous CardBus slots (1.5V and 3.3V versus 3.3V and 5.0V).

The ExpressCard FAQ also claims other advantages, including lower cost, better scalability, and better integration with motherboard chipset technology. The ExpressCard interface is not backwards-compatible with CardBus devices, which presents a problem for those who may purchase a new system only to find that their devices do not work with the new slot design.

Thanks Jason,

What i really would like to know is, if Cisco plans on making an Express version of the Cisco Spectrum Expert.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/prod_brochure0900aecd806caa70_ps9393_Products_Brochure.

Interesting question, I notice from one of the above replies that its said that we dont think 802.11n express cards will work? Theres not a great deal of space in a pcmcia card but we have 11n cards.

I have been looking at airmagnet cards and a netbook for surveying and there are no netbooks that support pcmcia cards at best its express card. Im not even sure if Airmagnet Pro will run on the atom N270 1.6GHz processor as I dont know where it fits in the Intel portfolio.

Would be interesting to see what other people are doing.

Also all new laptops are getting express cards and Airmagnet survey doesnt support the intel N cards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: