cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing 4402s with 4404 controllers.

f00f1ter
Level 1
Level 1

I will be replacing a couple of 4402s with 4404 controllers. I have never worked with this before, so I would appreciate any tips, pointers, or "gotchas" that anyone could offer. There are about 50 existing APs.

TIA

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good thing here, is if you are running LAG, you should be able to upload the current config, and then download to your new controller. If you can do this in a non-live environment, you can then just switch out the two units.

Otherwise, you're best off doing a stare and compare to make sure you have everything configured the same.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

2 questions:

1. What is the significance of running LAG. I know this is port aggregation, but what is the significance in this case?

2. What is the versions of code are different? Say 4.0.xx on the 4402 and 4.2.xx on the 4404?

Thanks for the reply.

LAG just sets all the ports to be the logical channel number, if you don't have LAG enabled, then all the interfaces will remain linked to the port you had them set to previously. Not a huge issue going from a 4402 - 4404.

As for the code, on the download of the config, the WLC should parse and do whatever upgrades/manipulations needed to get the config to what 4.2 would expect. On that note, make sure you can upgrade directly from the 4.0 release you are running to the 4.2 release the 4404 is running, release notes will tell you this.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card