cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM alerts show ip when device name is chosen

rtuttle
Level 1
Level 1

This is an annoyance that I would like to know how to deal with. The alerts and fault screen shows the columns device ip and device name. both use the IP address and that is a pain with over 4k devices. Additionally the pages show the ip address not the name.

I am also wondering how to or how it is configured to automatically (alert) clear the alert when the device is active again. I currently have configured paging to let me know when something has cleared. I never get anything.

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order for DFM to show a device by name, the device's IP address must be properly resolvable in DNS or the server's local hosts file. Java is tricky when it comes to name resolution, so you need to make sure there is an exact one-to-one IP-to-name, name-to-IP mapping for the address.

Once that is working, remove the device from DFM, then re-add it, and it will show up by name.

As for alerts clearing, all the events within an alert must clear before an alert will automatically clear. It depends on the event type as to what a clear means. In general, once a threshold is no longer being violated, the event will clear.

Well that is interesting. Ok, since I am a provider of shared services we use a boat load of vrf's. So I can't use DNS but will put a host file together and maybe that will fix. But remove from DFM? Wow I have over 4k devices and would have thought that when we initially fatfingered in DCR. that the Sysname or hostname would be used for the device name. I guess there is not automation for this remove readd????

As for alerts in DFM, I understand the auto clear. But I guess I misspoke the ?, Thankfully in the 3.1 version you can select all on the alert list. But it appears you still have to actually go into each alert to "clear the alert". This is due to not being able to correlate downstream devices. So I get hundreds of alerts that I must clear. Any thoughts?

No, you cannot automate the remove/re-add. DFM is a bit of a pain since it is the only application which does not respect DCR display names.

I think you're confusing terms. You're saying that while you can clear the alerts in bulk, that does not clear the underlying events. This is true. There is no way to clear events in bulk.

G'day Joe, Ok with respect to your answers,

DFM Names

Can we expect to see a release that will respect DCR display names? If so timing if known?

You say I need to remove from DFM, we are a multi service shop and with multiple customer groups (including the core) will I need to disable auto update, delete all, then reenable auto import from DCR? If so will I lose my underlying data for alerts?

Alert clearing

The main reason I inquire on this is when I get an alert, it is checked on but the state shows up/up but the event is still showing active. Am I missing a process? I would think the device would clear the alert upon at least next poll and it shows responding.

Thank you for your continued wisdom.

R

DFM will never respect the DCR Display Names in its current architecture. A release which does this may be a few years out.

To delete one device from DFM, first disable auto-sync. Then, go to DFM > Device Management > Rediscover/Delete, and delete the device or devices you want. Then re-enable auto-sync, or manually re-sync those deleted devices.

An alert is a compound thing. It consists of one of more events. An alert will not clear unless all of its events have cleared. An event clears when the underlying condition which has caused it has been corrected. This, of course, depends on what the event is.

I used the same way to deal with naming issue previously. But now DFM just do nothing when i'm pressing Delete button. Is there any tips/workaround about it ?

Please start a new thread for your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: