multicast question !!

Unanswered Question
Jan 9th, 2009

I have a multicast network running Anycast. I am trying to test the configuration using "igmp join-group x.x.x.x" on the two loopback interfaces of RP routers. MSDP is working fine and I am also getting ping response to group address from both routers when I send ping from another router in the domain.

The problem is that after getting successfull response ping packets starts dropping. The interface goes in Pruned state. It happens when I do failover testing by shutting interface on one RP router as well as I have seen this happening when both routers are up.

Is this anormal behaviour of "igmp joing-group" or does it indicate an issue with config? I have not found out any relevant document.

Would appreciate some help !!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Sat, 01/10/2009 - 02:25

Hello Fawad,

the usage of ip igmp join-group should be limited to functional tests with ping to multicast address group.

I would suggest you to setup a real multicast source and to have a real receiver.

One of the simplest way to do this is to use VLC from videolan that allows to send out a multicast stream on one PC and to receive it on another PC.

see

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion