cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor Configuration.....

davisr651
Level 1
Level 1

At my company, we introduced iSCSI to our network, and find it at issue when our switch reboots, it takes to long... I did some research on SSO, It seems to me to be a much better way to go.. rather than RPR mode.. Can you view my current supervisor config and give input?.. thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Rob,

I don't see any configuration of the switch. Here is an example to configure SSO:

redundancy

mode sso

main-cpu

auto-sync standard

Also I noticed that you are running different IOS version on your switch. One of the requirements for SSO is that both supervisors must run the same IOS version, and feature set. Here is a link that will help you understand this further.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/NSFwSSO.html

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Rob,

I don't see any configuration of the switch. Here is an example to configure SSO:

redundancy

mode sso

main-cpu

auto-sync standard

Also I noticed that you are running different IOS version on your switch. One of the requirements for SSO is that both supervisors must run the same IOS version, and feature set. Here is a link that will help you understand this further.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/31sg/configuration/guide/NSFwSSO.html

HTH,

Mark

Attached is a sh ver of my switch, will this furnish config info you are looking for?...

Also, the 2 different versions, are you referring to the following?:

12.2(25)EWA4 (fc1) &

12.2(18)EW3 (fc1)

I did see your last attachment. I thought there was a config that you had posted. You do have a version mismatch which will need to be corrected before SSO will work.

I would recommend copying the IOS from one supervisor to the other (probably the more current version would be better) and reload the supervisor with the correct image.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.1/19ew/configuration/guide/RPR.html#wp1104060

If you need more help let me know.

Mark

how do you copy from one supv to another?...

:)

thanks

You will need to either telnet or console into the active supervisor:

determine which supervisor has/needs which image

copy bootflash:iosname.bin slavebootflash:

or

copy slavebootflash:iosname.bin bootflash:

The last link I posted has more detail about that. If you are unable to do this please post the following output

dir /all

This will show what files are which supervisor and I could give you the exact syntax with this info if needed.

Mark

mark, i cant figure out how to telnet into the active supervisor.... when i do an attach module ? i get (3-10)... it wont give me access to the modules 1 & 2 once im in, is this where i do a dir /all ?....

rob

Does this switch have a management IP address? Is this switch setup for remote management? If no to either of these you will want to use a console cable and console directly into the active supervisor. From there in privileged exec mode then you would type dir /all.

Note: From the previously posted output the supervisor in slot 1 is the active supervisor.

Mark

yes, i am telnetted into the switch, also, i setup a have another computer console into the active supv too.. with same results, not being able to access the supervisors...

(from running-config)...

boot-start-marker

boot system tftp cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin 255.255.255.255

boot bootldr bootflash:cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin

boot-end-marker

!

above is the ios i want to copy to the standby supervisor (which is the older version ios

do i have to boot in rommon mode to do this?....

No you don't need to be in rommon. Is the tftp server currently active? I would just TFTP the IOS from the TFTP server directly to the standby SUP

switch#copy tftp slavebootflash:

Address or name of remote host []? 1.2.3.4 (your TFTP server IP address)

Source filename []? cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin

Destination filename [cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin]?

Accessing tftp://1.2.3.4/cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then modify your bootstring to:

switch#configure terminal

switch(config)#boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin

boot system flash bootflash:cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin

type exit

save the config:

switch#copy run start

reload the standby supervisor:

switch#redundancy reload peer

Then the standby SUP should come up with the new image.

you can verify that it has by consoling into the switch and issue the "show version" command or "show redundancy" command.

Mark

I got it!.... when connected using console cable on active supv dir/all gave me the following

the contents of the attachment is the file i need to copy to the standby supervisor...

and you can funish the exact command?

thank you very.... much..

rob davis

Did you copy from my previous post from TFTP? If not just type

copy bootflash:cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.ewa4.bin slavebootflash:

That should be all you need.

you can verify that it has successfully copied by issuing the "show slavebootflash:" command.

Mark, im at work, and run the command you gave me, and is responds with "There is a file already existing with this name" and prompts me to overwrite or not.... what should i do?......

thank you

rob davis

Mark, being that the file is already in slavebootflash, can in follow the instructions you posted earlier "changing the bootstring",

thanks

rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: