IOS upgrade questions

Unanswered Question
Jan 10th, 2009

Hi Guys,

I need to do an IOS and flash upgrade and would like to check i am on the right track before starting.

Firstly i would do a copy flash tftp to my laptop to save the current config and IOS.This router is running CME therefore would every file on flash be copied to tftp including GUI files,ring tones etc and will it still be in .tar format ?

Next while the router is up/running, i would eject the old flash and insert the new one,format it, then do a copy tftp flash.

Finally,i can then delete the old IOS and replace it with the new IOS on my TFTP as well as any other files such as CME GUI/MOh files.

Also,i want to try using a usb compact flash reader,does this mean i can just eject the old flash,plug into the usb reader and copy everything from that drive onto my pc.What format would this be in,could i just delete the IOS from the compact flash while in my pc,replace with the new one and then just stick it back into the router then job done?

I realise there may be other ways of doing this so will appreciate your thoughts on the above...thanks!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
wong34539@yahoo.com Mon, 01/19/2009 - 08:02

Software Installation and Upgrade Procedures

Step 1: Select a Cisco IOS Software Image

Step 2: Download the Cisco IOS Software Image to the TFTP Server

Step 3: Identify the File System to Copy the Image

Step 4: Prepare for the Upgrade

Step 5: Verify that the TFTP Server has IP Connectivity to the Router

Step 6: Copy IOS Image to the Router

Step 7: Verify the Cisco IOS Image in the File System

Step 8: Verify the Configuration Register

Step 9: Verify the Boot Variable

Step 10: Save the Configuration and Reload the Router

Step 11: Verify the Cisco IOS Upgrade

For further information click this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

Actions

This Discussion