Helpful
Replies

Memory Leak Detector

cisco_lite
Level 1
Level 1

I used the following entry on Cat6500

show memory debug leaks

and it took up 100% of the CPU. Can 'show' commands eat up so much of CPU. I believe they are only display commands.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Cisco_lite,

debug commands can have such a disruptive effect on the network device even on a powerful one like a C6500 with Sup720.

For example by using a debug stp I caused a C4500 to become unusable and I needed someone to reload it !

Actually, displaying in a console has a great impact on the system you should

increase the local logging buffer size to 1000000 bytes or more

logging buffered

logging console 4

set logging console 4 to avoid to see debug messages on the fly then later you see the logging buffer by using

sh log

Think that usually is less heavy to export log messages to a syslog server then to have them displayed on the console or VTY connection.

We used this method of exporting to a syslog with logging disabled on the console, to get some debug outputs for Cisco TAC during some Service Request.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks. But I was assuming the entry tp be show command and not debug. I believed debug commands had to start with 'debug'.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card