cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM does not tell what ip sla collector trapped

douhanm
Level 1
Level 1

When DFM recieves IP sla events based on triggers in the ip sla config, it only shows a generic rtt event and does not show us what ip sla operation failed, can DFM be confogured to show the actual collector that failed? The IPM option to send traps is not good enough since in order to scale to thousands of devices we can only poll every 60 minutes.

What I would like is something in Cisco worKS LMS that will alert me when it recieves an IP SLA trap, that includes the collector that failed and not only the generic rttevent failed.

Any suggestions how this can be achieved with LMS 3.0.1 including IPM ?

rgds

Matt

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not doable in DFM. This has been a long-standing bug. Currently, there is no way to get IP SLA alerts in CiscoWorks. A new feature is coming in LMS 3.2 to handle IP SLA syslog messages.

Just to add to it, apparently if the IP SLA router that sends SLA related SNMP traps does not send the TAG names in ver 12.4.15T7 - 12.4.22T (the SNMP var arrives empty to the SNMP collector (linux snmptrapd + snmptt)). Have not checked how syslog sends it

Good day Joe, With respect to this it would appear that using the EEM features you could actually modify the syslog at the router and then either syslog it or email it with pretty much anything needed. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks,

You could convert IP SLA data on the router to emails using EEM. This is even more powerful in 12.4(22)T with the new IP SLA event detector in EEM.

However, if you want to modify an IP SLA syslog message, that would require the Embedded Syslog Manager. ESM can also convert syslog messages to emails, but it's easier to do it with EEM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: