cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default-network with or without default route ?

badalam_nt
Level 1
Level 1

Is it needed to set a default route, i.e:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ISP_Address or Exit_interface

before issuing a default network command:

ip default-network subnet_number_of_connection_to_ISP

Or it is sufficient enough to let only the "ip default-network ..."?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Acknowledged...

I wanted to expand on what you wrote.

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please refer to the documentation and look under examples on the differences while performing either option:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_pi1.html#wp1012319

HTH,

__

Edison.

Could you give me some more details, as I miss the difference?

Ex:

1) If a router has an interface declared with IP@ 10.10.0.2/16 connected to another router with IP@10.10.0.1, what is the difference between:

a)ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.0.1

ip default-network 10.10.0.0

and

b)ip default-network 10.10.0.0

2) If a router has no directly connected interface in the 10.10.0.0 subnet, what is the difference between the 2 cases listed above?

As per your example, the second option will only generate a default route when 10.10.0.0/16 is in the routing table.

The first option is generating a default route with the Quad 0 statement (first line of the command). The second line will only generate a default route if 10.10.0.0/16 is in the routing table so you need ip route 10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 ISP_Gateway for the second line to work as intended.

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

I hope I get it right, please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) There is no difference between the cases a) and b), the same router behavior will be observed in both cases

2) Case b) won't work as intended, i.e the default network won't be advertised nor used as a default route. However, it could work but only in case additionally there is a static route (not a default route) towards that default network defined. That is to say for point 2) if we use a default route or a static route together with the "ip default-network" won't make any difference.

Basically a conditional advertisement of a default route, the default network command - that is.

It will advertise the Quad 0 to the rest of devices only when the default network is on the router's routing table.

Inserting a Quad 0 statement won't force a default network Quad 0 origination but the static Quad 0 on itself is doing it.

Keep in mind, the default network send the default route advertisement by using an IGP while the static route needs to be manually redistributed into the IGP for advertisement.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Edison, sorry I didn't really catch the exact meaning...my level is quite basic, just started to read the CCNA books.

Could you please acknowledge/deny directly the statements I made in my previous post?

Thanks.

Acknowledged...

I wanted to expand on what you wrote.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: