Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Directory numbers on IP phones

I am wondering whether IP phones are aware of the directory numbers assigned to them or whether only the call routing component residing on the call manager knows the directory numbers assigned to the attached IP phones.

If IP phones knew their assigned directory numbers and transmitted them between themselves via the signalling channel, it would be impossible to set up dialing transformations. Is this point of view correct or don't IP phones have direct contact between themselves via the signal channel? (I think I learned that they should have direct contact in the last phase of an call establishment).

Regards

Eckhard

3 Replies 3

testeven
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi!

The IP phone itself acts as an endpoint that registers with the call agent (CUCM or CME for example). The callmanager will keep a record of the IP phones MAC address and the associated DN so calls can be routed between phones. Basically when you place a call between Phone A and Phone B, messages are exchanged between the IP phone A and CCM, the CCM routes the call to IP phone B and at the end the RTP media channel is established between the 2 phones/endpoints.

Regards, Tere. If you find this post helpful, please rate! :)

simply put:

signaling:

ip phone -> call agent

RTP:

endpoint (IP Phone, GW, etc) -> endpoint (IP Phone, GW, etc)

all this having in mind SCCP, SIP works a little different

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

the message seems to imply, that one has to distinguish between SCCP phones and SIP phones.

In case of SCCP phones there is no direct SCCP signaling between both endpoints. The signaling is completely routed via the call agent.

In case of SIP phones a call is established via a proxy, but this proxy is used only during the initial steps. The final step uses direct signaling between both SIP phones.

Is this description correct?

Regards

Eckhard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: