Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Alerts generated by Single Link Failure

sachin.verma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are using Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 as enterprise wide alerting system.Now,recently our backbone DS3 MPLS link in our data centre went down,which was connecting to service provider PE.Now it resulted in generation on hundreds of alerts and mails from all the remote sites devices which are connected to this MPLS cloud.Is there a intelligent way of configuring alerts which would minimize an event like this to only one e-mail.Basically, I am looking at multiple events generated for single network failure to give single e-mail.

thanks in advance

Sachin Verma

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are using DFM to send you email notifications, then there is no way to correlate them automatically. DFM is a device-level fault management tool, and does not do network-level correlation.

If you're using RME's syslog automated action feature, you could convert from using an email action to a script action, then write a program which does the de-duplication and correlation for you (maybe using its own backend database).

Unfortunately, there is nothing built-in to LMS which does this.

Thanks Clarke,can u provide a sample script which can be used in RME.

thanks

sachin verma

I don't have one. I was merely providing an idea. You might try searching the Internet for people that have done de-duplication or correlation programs which could be adapted for RME's automated action facility.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: